A New Chapter

I've had to be patient entering the "next chapter" in my care.

The chapter started with a transition from my surgeon (thank you Dr. Yamzon!) to an oncologist who specializes in kidney cancer, Dr. Sumanta Pal. Dr. Pal is the reason that we chose City of Hope in the first place. He has quite the CV and reputation as an expert in renal cell carcinoma.
My initial consult was on October 11. We talked about the pathology report in some detail. The final pathology results is that I have a type of cancer called Clear Cell Renal Carcinoma.

Apparently, I have some type of genetic mutation that is found in a lot of people who have this type of cancer. The prognosis is that there is a 30-40% chance the cancer will reoccur as Clear Cell Carcinoma in other areas of my body (lungs, brain, lymph nodes).

The current standard of care for my situation is immunotherapy using pembrolizumab (Keytruda). Immunotherapy uses drugs to boost a patient's immune system to attack and destroy cancer cells - kind of the same way a vaccine attacks viruses. Immunotherapy has some side effects, but nothing like chemotherapy, since with immunotherapy, my immune system is at work instead of chemical toxins. Use of immunotherapy has shown to reduce recurrence another 30%-40%. So, if we do the math, immunotherapy reduces the chance of recurrence to 20%-30%. I'll take any advantage I can get.

The reason for the delay in starting immunotherapy was that Dr. Pal recommended that I take part in a clinical trial of a combination of pembrolizumab and another drug that specifically targets Clear Cell RCC in people with the genetic mutation that was discovered by pathology. We've been waiting to hear back if I was going to be accepted in the study. A bunch of labs, some CT scans, and a nuclear bone scan later, we found out yesterday (11/2) that I'm not. The good news is that the scans show that at this point, I'm cancer free (yea!).

So, immunotherapy starts next week. I'm eager to see the plan - all I know at this point is that I'll be getting infusions every three weeks for the next year. I'm sure there are going to be Oh joy. I guess I'll get used to the drive to Duarte. At least Donut Man is on the way home.

Stay tuned!

Comments

  1. Good news…. Prayers are still flowing as you start this new procedure…. I am in awe at your attitude….I feel this is what has carried yiy through this journey
    🙏🙌🏻🙏♥️

    ReplyDelete
  2. On our way to Duarte. Where’s Donut Man

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to get an update. Wonderful news that you’re cancer free! I know how great that feels.
    Sorry the trial didn’t work out but glad you can begin immunotherapy next week.
    Continuing prayers and hugs! Robina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Feet are Back on the Ground

Recovery Goals for Week of 9/4/22

I miss Friday night poker