Told Mom Today

This one has been a source of stress for a few days. I've been keeping this from my mom. Dad passed about 8 months ago. She's been in assisted living since just before then, and not really liking it. She's pretty fragile at this point, with Parkinson's really starting to take hold. My concern is that she comes from the generation where no one survives cancer. Last thing I want is to do is put more stress on her. I contemplated not telling her. I contemplated telling her that I was going to need a surgery, but not why. It was really bugging me.

In the end, I got some good advice from a couple of friends this week. One of them reminded me that after 90+ years of life, she's capable of processing the news.  Likewise, I would want to be there for my kids if they were facing a similar situation.

So today I broke the news. To my two friends - you were right. I'm also feeling better. Another stress off my chest.

Tomorrow I'm back to City of Hope for imaging and a bone scan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Feet are Back on the Ground

Recovery Goals for Week of 9/4/22

Recovery Goals for the Week of 8/28/22