Recovery Struggles

It's been a week since surgery. I am feeling pretty good. Since this is my first time doing something like this, I'm not quite sure what the expectations are, but I'm getting in and out of chairs and bed, able to get up and down the stairs - basically all my ADLs. 

There are two things I'm struggling with:

  • Sleeping: I am (was?) a side sleeper. In my current situation, that's not an option. I slept (or tried to) for a couple nights on a recliner. I ended up pretty miserable both nights (sliding down the seat, ending up with a sore neck or back, etc. I know - big baby syndrome. Doesn't really matter though when I'm feeling miserable the next day. It's hard enough dealing with the stress and pain - it makes it harder when I'm mentally and physically exhausted. I slept back in my bed Wednesday night. I think I got in a decent 4 hours or so. Thursday night was a little better - getting somewhere around 6 hours of sleep. 
  • It's always cold!: I know my body is still adjusting post-op, but I am finding that I need to wear a sweatshirt in the house. I'm hoping this resolves itself soon.
Had my first post-op visit yesterday as well. The NP had no concerns after his examinations. We talked about the sleep issue - he suggested proactively taking pain meds to see if that help.

The other advantage of being on the City of Hope Campus in Duarte? 3000 steps.

Comments

  1. I remember having to sleep in a recliner after rotator cuff surgery. Using pillows under your arms can help anchor you.
    Keeping ahead of your pain is so important. Heavier doses of ibuprofen can help wean off super strong prescription pain meds but also do the trick
    Give yourself permission to rest. A few times a day now is a really big help with healing and recovery. Even if you don’t actually sleep it helps.
    Lack of sleep is so hard on many levels!!
    Sending you continuing hugs and prayers on your journey!

    I may have double posted…. Can’t remember if I hit Publish. Can’t see any comments.🤣🤪

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Feet are Back on the Ground

Recovery Goals for Week of 9/4/22

Recovery Goals for the Week of 8/28/22