Recovery goals for Week of 9/11/22

This is going to be a boring update this week. Checking in on last week's goals: 
  • Wash my Car (including vacuum): FAIL. Keeping this on the plan for this week.  
  • Cook a meal: DONE. As mentioned last week, standing for a long period of time is still a challenge. I just need to plan an hour to cook a 30 minute meal. First meal cooked last week were blackened tilapia fish tacos with corn and black bean salad.  
  • Walk 20 minute round trip: FAIL. I'm pretty close, but these physical activities remain a challenge. I'm going to try to get out early this week and see how I do.
  • Establish long term care plan: FAIL. Pathology report is still pending.  
  • Visiting our new grand daughter: DONE. She's beautiful! 
  • Poker session: DONE. Put in a 5 hour session last Thursday. There is more to this than playing poker - it's the ability to sit in a chair for an extended period of time and focus on a set of tasks. It's kind of like what I need to do at work (yecch!).
Physically, I still feel weak compared to where I was before surgery, but things appear to be going the right direction. Some things that I've noticed:
  • The irritation and itching on the punctures and incision is still there. I'm hoping this starts to resolve itself in the coming week as the steri-strips over the incision continue to fall off.
  • As a result of the irritation, I think I'm walking with my shoulders hunched forward in an attempt to keep my shirt from rubbing on the incision. 
  • I mentioned that standing for a long period of time is still challenging. I was reading this week that it could be months before my core fully heals. Guess I'll just need to plan for it.
  • I'm walking at half speed compared to pre-surgery. Hey - it still beats the alternative. 
  • My weight has stabilized. I was concerned about how quickly I was losing weight the first couple of weeks post surgery. 
  • I need to watch my diet and health to protect my remaining kidney. I feel good enough now to start pivoting my plan to lose the extra 30 pounds I don't need to be carrying around. 
Goals for this week:
  • Wash my Car (including vacuum): The vacuums are fixed and my floor mats are filthy.  
  • Cook multiple meals: Goal is to cook dinners for a few nights in a row. I'm keeping the menu simple for now. Crossing my fingers. 
  • Walk 20 minute round trip: Targeting Monday. Will be interesting to see how I feel afterwards.   
  • Establish long term care plan: My surgeon had reached out to pathology to determine why this is taking so long. This is a bit of a stressor.
Finally, I think there are a couple of things that are going to need to come off the plan. I really don't think that I will be able to do the 45 minute walk or a wilderness hike for a few more weeks. I think those both require a level of fitness and core strength that I just don't have right now. Guess it's time to change the name of my board from "Recovery" to "Healthy Living Plan" (how trite).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Feet are Back on the Ground

Recovery Goals for Week of 9/4/22

I miss Friday night poker